Powered by Ripley’s Believe It Or Not!
There is so much you don’t know about Amsterdam yet! Here are a few fun facts you might find amusing. Believe it or not!
- The estimated number of bikes in Amsterdam is 880,000. There are more bikes than people in the Dutch capital!
- Around 25,000 bikes end up on the bottom of the canals every year. Сuriously enough, only half of them are fished up from there.
- Amsterdam stands on about 11,000,000 wooden poles. A typical canal house needs no more than 10 of those to keep it ‘afloat’. The Royal Palace, in turn, is supported by exactly 13.659 poles!
- Approximately one-third of the Dutch territory lies below sea level. Schiphol airport, for example, sits at -4.5 meters and is the lowest lying airport in the world!
- 1,281 is the number of bridges in Amsterdam. That is three times more bridges than there is in Venice!
- Amsterdam has no less than 165 canals that, if combined together, would have a length of 100 kilometers or 60 miles.
- Got caught in the rain? Don’t worry – it will probably happen again! Amsterdam is one of the wettest cities in Europe, with an average of 185 days with precipitation.
Did you already know all of this? Congratulations! You’re a true Amsterdammer!